Home        About          Family        Reviews        Giveaways        PR/Disclosure

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Our first ear infection

This past week has been an adventure. One that I had hoped to miss out on completely. What adventure would that be? Bug's first (and hopefully last) ear infection. J and I missed out on ear infections with BooBoo, so we were not prepared for Bug's symptoms.Before we dive into the screaming, coughing, no sleep in sight and a trip to the ER part of the week let me just tell you how Bug got sick.
The girls and I went down to visit my family for a few days. J was unable to go with us due to his work schedule. My sister and my 4 1/2 year old nephew, Ace (yes, his real name!), came over to visit at my grandmother's house. What my sister failed to mention before coming over was that my nephew was sick. He and BooBoo played together, they played with Bug. and I think you know where this is going. The next day both girls were sick! I take responsibilty for letting the kids all play together but they are little and they do not see each other very often. Both girls ran a low-grade fever the first day and by the second day(Tuesday) BooBoo was up running around. Bug on the other hand had become extremely cranky, refused to nurse, would not sleep and would not even let me carry her in the ring sling. Since we had to drive back home I decided to wait until Wednesday morning to call the doctor. That was Mommy Mistake #2. Bug finally decided to nurse at about 6:00pm and then did not eat again until we got home from the hospital at 3:30am. She also would not sleep more than 20 minutes at a time all night. When Bug started tugging her ear and coughing so hard she was spitting up I knew we were in trouble. The minute that J got home from work at 1:00am (we only have one car and BooBoo was fast asleep) I headed out the door with Bug and to the ER. After infroming the nurse of Bug's symptoms and taking her temperature, we were placed in one of the examination rooms. By the time the doctor came in to check Bug out she had fallen asleep on my chest. Bug was furious at the doctor for waking her up to check her infected ear and she let the WHOLE hospital know it. The doctor let me know that Bug indeed had an ear infection and that she needs/ed antibiotics for the next ten days.
So, here we are a few days later and Bug is doing much better. She is back in her bed and not the carseat. Which I know is a horrible place to let a baby sleep but it let both baby and mommy get a few hours of much needed sleep by relieving the pressure in her ear.She is also back to nursing full time for which I am so grateful. Ok, let's recap: sick cousins, craknky baby, hospital visit and ear infection.

And how was your week?

1 comment:

The Graves Family (Monkey Tales) said...

Hey just wanted to let you know that you have an award over at my blog!